AquaTru Water Purifier
This page contains affiliate links, which means that if you click on the affiliate link and buy an item, I’ll receive commissions.
- AquaTru Water Purifier was tested to NSF standards by IAPMO, an independent testing laboratory whose mission is to protect the public and continually improve the safety, performance, and reliability of plumbing and mechanical systems.
- International Association of Plumbing and Mechanical Officials (IAPMO) is one of the four laboratories accepted by the California EPA to qualify for NSF certification. (The other three are NSF, WQA, and UL.)
- IAPMO tested AquaTru to remove 82 contaminants throughout the recommended filter life to the NSF Standards 42, 53, 58, 401, and P473 for the reduction of the substances listed in the performance datasheet.
- Note that the P473 standard is designed to test how well a filter works for PFAS chemicals, such as PFOA and PFOS.
- AquaTru is listed on the IAPMO website under AquaTru LLC. Use this link and select “listee name” to search for them.
- AquaTru is a Reverse Osmosis (RO) filter, which means that it wastes water (typically, per every gallon of filtered water, 3 gallons are wasted.)
- Because of wasted water and also the fact the RO systems demineralize water, I call RO “water filters of last resort.” Personally, I do not use RO water filters. Instead, I use this water filter.
- Another downside of AquaTru Water Purifier is that it has a low capacity, and it takes about 15 minutes to filter one gallon of water.
- However, it can be a great choice for somebody who has very contaminated water, is in-between residences, and/or can’t install a filter under the sink. I believe it is a better choice than Berkey. To learn more about Berkey and how to choose the best water filter, head over to my post The Best Water Filter System for You.
- Ultimately, a filter should be chosen based on the contaminants in your water. Tap Score is the water testing service I use and recommend to determine the quality of your tap water and how well the filter of your choice works on your water.