Ever gotten an itchy scalp while dying your hair?
It could just be a little itching… or it could be the start of something worse.
Studies show some itching may signal an allergic reaction that could result in hair loss in mild cases, or even anaphylactic shock!
Even if you’ve never suffered an allergic reaction before, the FDA and the European Scientific Committee on Consumer Safety warn: You can develop a reaction to the same hair dye you’ve been using for a decade or more. That’s called “sensitization,” and it’s your body’s way of saying “enough.”
Unfortunately, there are only a handful of lower-toxin hair dyes on the market.
The European Union Scientific Committee on Consumer Safety (SCCS) has assessed over 110 hair dyes for safety in the last 5 years.
The bad news? Reading over 600 pages of scientific jargon, chemical formulas, toxin advisories, and professional gobbeldy-gook would take you weeks to untangle.
The good news? You don’t have to. As a consumer researcher, I’ve spent hundreds of hours culling down scientific data to specific recommendations you can use right away. In short? I’ve read the reports so you don’t have to.